Wednesday, April 15, 2020

I am a teacher.

I am a teacher. 

I remember when my former teachers asked me what was my ambition,
I told them that I wanted to be a lawyer, and then, eventually, I changed my ambition into being a teacher.
I remember how I always have my own "tuition class" with my sister when she was still little and with my toys.
I always have books with me and I would be teaching them like how I saw my teachers teaching me.
I would get ready books as their workbooks and checked their works as well as guide them to do it.

When I entered secondary school and the same question was asked to me,
I told my teachers and my counselling teacher that I wanted to be a teacher.
Most of my teachers disagreed and told me that I could do much better than that, 
and that my talent is not in teaching, but in other fields.
I smiled and held on to my ambition.

After high school, I applied to different types of public university as well as teacher training college thanks to my counselling teacher who told me about it.
I was rejected from all those choices and was left awaiting for the decision from the teacher training college.
I nearly ended up becoming a forced accountant but thank God, I was accepted for an interview and eventually, accepted to a teacher training college in Keningau, Sabah.
And began my 5 and a half journey of wonderful, bittersweet and lesson-filled experiences that built me to be me now. 

After ending my training, I was posted to SK Miri and I have been here ever since.
I am grateful that I have stick to my ambition and chased after what I wanted since I was a child.
I was happy that I am finally a teacher and that I was able to do things that I love, 
to teach pupils and to see them transform into someone new.
This is my 5th year of teaching and my pupils have changed me every year.
From someone who strives for perfection in terms of results,
into someone who tries to build good rapport and relationship with my pupils first before results.
From someone who tries so hard,
into someone who acknowledge the limits of certain pupils and always trying new ways to help them.

Indeed, failure and disappointments are nothing new to me,
but it was these elements that kept me going on and on.
There are times when I was down and tired of doing the same old routine,
but the next day, I am still grateful that I am a teacher.
As for now, MCO is still happening and we still can't go back to school for our duty.
All I hope for is for the virus to disappear and MCO be lifted up,
so that I could go back to my favourite job.
Because I miss teaching and I miss my kids a lot.

Jenny~

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;